February 18, 2009

A Conversation with SolarJohn

SolarJohn is a Power Smart Pricing participant from Fairview Heights in the Metro East area. His home is equipped with solar panels, and he writes a blog that is a great resource for both homeowners looking to install renewable energy and for those who already have. He provides excellent insight into how to get the most out of your system with smart and simple solutions.

He is constantly looking for the next breakthrough on lowering his costs and improving his efficiency. Especially in the areas of integrating his system with Power Smart Pricing's hourly rate. I recently asked him a couple questions to expand on how and why he chose Power Smart Pricing.

Why did you choose to sign up for Power Smart Pricing?

1. To save money. I have solar panels on my roof. I can use solar-provided electricity when utility rates are high, and use electricity from the grid when rates are low.

2. I want to avoid using electricity from coal-fired power plants as much as possible. Doing so is harmful to the environment, and is not sustainable. I want to do my part to protect the planet, and to conserve natural resources for future generations.

What do you enjoy most about Power Smart Pricing?

I like knowing how much I'm going to be charged in advance so that I can adjust my energy use accordingly. I sometimes charge batteries when rates are low, and use electricity from those batteries when rates are high.

I not only monitor the amount I pay each month for electricity, I also carefully watch the amount (kwh) I use. I save money because I've signed up for Power Smart pricing, but by monitoring my actual use I can tell if my efforts benefit the environment.

Switching to CFL lights, and purchasing energy-efficient appliances, are some of the other things I've done recently to reduce my electricity usage. It's easier to stay motivated when I can see the results of my actions.

I also blog about my acitvities (http://solarjohn.blogspot.com), hoping to inspire others to do similar things. If we all do a little, it will help a lot.

I encourage everyone to go to SolarJohn's blog. Make sure to read through the archives to get some really interesting stuff. His ability to explain the steps he his taking is highly motivating for homeowners who are looking to save money and help preserve the environment's natural resources for future generations. John, thanks for the contribution.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin